NYSSPE has partnered with Sem-Train, LLC - New York State Approved Sponsor
December 6, 2023 / 12:00pm-2:30pm, ET / Webinar
This Sem-Train course caters to Licensed Professional Engineers who are interested in refreshing their understanding of some of the terms and concepts associated with the practice of engineering, the code of ethics, and conduct professional engineers are expected to abide by. After defining some of the terms and concepts pertaining to the practice of engineering, the course segues into the rules of professional conduct. Three rules of professional conduct are reviewed.
Each of the three rules of conduct and the terms and concepts associated with the practice of engineering are illustrated through multiple case studies. Some of these case studies are conducted in the form of live classwork in which participants are encouraged to identify and discuss the most ethical courses of action based on the professional engineering rules of conduct. In addition, this course addresses the drivers behind engineers’ moral disengagement and ethical dilemma that often tends to lead them astray. This course also, briefly, delves into the concerns beginning to erupt with the rise of AI; its pros and cons related to the practice of engineering.
Learning Objectives - Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be:
• Refreshed on some of the important professional engineering terms, concepts and principles.
• Refreshed on the three fundamental Codes of Ethics that apply to the practice of professional engineering.
• Able to understand the essence and application of the three codes of ethic through multiple case studies.
• Assess and reaffirm their comprehension of the professional engineering codes of ethic through multiples class work case studies and in-class discussion.
• Understand proclivities associated with ethics dilemma and moral disengagement that lead some licensed PE’s astray.
• Understand some of the opportunities and threats AI offers to PE’s.
Speaker Bio: Professor Bobby Rauf, P.E, C.E.M, MBA; NSPE Member
Professor Bobby Rauf is the President, Chief Consultant and a Senior Instructor at Sem-Train, LLC. Bobby has over 25 years of experience in teaching undergraduate and post graduate Engineering, Science, Math, Business Administration and MBA courses, seminars and workshops. Prof. Rauf is registered (PE) Professional Engineer, in the States of Virginia, North Carolina, and Wyoming, a Certified Energy Manager and a Certified Ergonomist.
Prof. Rauf was inducted as "Legend in Energy" by AEE, in 2014. He is a published author of multiple engineering and energy books, and professional Development courses. He holds patents in process controls technology.