We've reached our volunteer limit for this year's Creek Cleanup. HOWEVER....
.....THE GOOD NEWS is that we have other activities over the summer and fall. Email us for more information. Also, we offer Community Service Credit to students for these activities below:
- Creek Bank Restoration Project in WC Civic Park - monthly for 3 hrs -- On 2nd Saturdays we meet @ 9am to work on transforming a patch of weeds into a meadow of native grasses and wildflowers. (more info)
- Invasive Plant Removal Projects -- in Aug-Oct. time frame -- We have a multi-year campaign to remove invasive plants from our creek banks. Ivy and Arundo Donax (Giant Reed - a bamboo-like plant) are our primary targets.
- Fall Creek CleanUp - on Sat. Oct. 14th -- We conduct creek cleanups during Walnut Creek's yearly Community Service Day.
- Water Quality Testing -- We are seeking volunteers to work with us to set up monthly testing of our creek water.
- Fish ID (Catch & Release), and Salmon Count days (in fall) -- As part of our long-term goal to restore native fish to Walnut Creek, we conduct fish ID sessions and periodically count the salmon that try to swim up Walnut Creek in fall.
Please check the Friends of the Creeks website for more information.
We invite you to follow us on our new social media sites: FACEBOOK TWITTER INSTAGRAM
ORIGINAL REGISTRATION MESSAGE:
Help remove trash and improve wildlife habitat in downtown WC creeks.
Free continental breakfast at 8:45 a.m. for all volunteers. This is a great family activity -- It’s your one chance to actually wade in beautiful parts of Walnut Creek!
PREREGISTRATION IS REQUIRED THIS YEAR. Attendance limited to 170 volunteers.
(If you register, but later discover you can't come, please cancel your ticket so that someone else can come in your place.)
Community Service Credit available for students.
Wear: old sneakers, bring gardening gloves if you have them, and plan to get wet!
See "Clothing Do's & Don'ts" at the bottom of this screen.
If you don’t want to get wet, you can help pull weeds in the Civic Park butterfly garden. We also need a few helpers at the registration desk, and in the kitchen.
Required Waiver Form: Everyone must sign a waiver form; parent must sign for kids under 18. (Download waiver now, or sign at the event.) Get the waiver & more information at www.FriendsoftheCreeks.org. Please add this to your calendar now.
Groups: One person may register for their family or for a club or organized group. If there are 10 or more people in your group, please send an email to the organizer listed below on this page. This will allow us to assign you all to the same crew on cleanup day.
- Are there age limits for participating in the Cleanup?
This event is best for adults, teens and children over age 10 because the creekbanks are steep in many places, and the water depth can vary. Less agile adults can contact us about working at the registration table, or in the kitchen preparing breakfast.
- How do I contact the organizer with other questions?
Send questions to email@example.com
- Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event? ~ Nope! Just show up by 9:00 a.m.
- What if I arrive LATE to Civic Park?
You may lose out completely if you're late. The participants are divided into crews that leave Civic Park with leaders that take them to several different parts of the creek in the downtown area. You need to arrive on time to be assigned to a crew and receive the safety instructions. Also, the food will be gone by 9:15.
- How do I cancel this registration if I can't come after all?
The confirmation email you receive after registering contains a "MANAGE" link by which you can cancel your registration. This will allow someone else to attend in your place. Thank you for taking time to cancel if you cannot attend.