NYSSPE has partnered with Sem-Train, LLC; member of NSPE - New York State Approved Sponsor
In today’s litigious atmosphere, professionals are often asked to be expert witnesses in civil suits or to simply provide services for mediations, arbitrations, and forensic investigations. While this can be a nerve-wracking experience, there are various techniques you can employ to become an effective expert witness.
Join Dr. David T. Williams as he helps you understand what to expect when asked to participate in legal processes, how to prepare, and how to minimize your organization’s exposure to possible legal actions.
Most expert witness courses are taught by attorneys. Instead, Dr. Williams brings to the table practical, industry-related experience as an expert witness in more than 40 court actions. He will leverage the acumen he has gained to impart proper behavior to adhere to throughout the process, including ethical conduct, how to handle oneself under pressure, and the role of the expert witness as a non-advocate and servant of the court.
This course will enable you to represent yourself as a competent and knowledgeable expert witness who is in control, credible, and - most of all - unbiased.
Learning Objectives & Take-Aways
1. After attending this course, you will know the principles and concepts related to being an expert witness in court related cases, leading to an understanding of the requirements of an expert witness as well as what to expect during the process.
2. You will know the procedures and psychology of the court process.
3. You will be prepared to deal with contradicting and confusing questions
4. You will be able to properly interact with your attorney, the opposing attorney, the judge, and the jury.
5. You will learn how to confidently state opinions and conclusions in an understandable and defensible manner.
6. You will know the difference between a consulting expert and a testifying expert.
7. You will know what are binding and non-binding arbitrations.
8. You gain familiarity with terms such as bench and jury trials, depositions, and discovery.
9. You will understand what is privileged information.
10. You will understand how to prepare for deposition and trial.
Why you shouldn’t miss this course – How this course can benefit you, your organizations, and what is unique about this course:
1. Have you ever felt somewhat inadequate and ill-equipped in your discussions with attorneys related to a court case? If so, then this course or seminar is a must.
2. Do you, as an engineer, manager, or technician, feel that your knowledge and understanding of the court process and the role of an expert witness are inadequate or insufficient, then you must not miss this seminar
3. How often do you get a chance to attend a workshop, course, or a seminar that is presented by a seasoned expert witness with over 50 expert witness engagements - live? In this seminar, you will have the opportunity to interact and learn from Dr. David T. Williams.
4. As an engineer, technician or manager have you ever found the concepts of topics such as the Daubert Challenge Law, how can an expert advertise his/her availability, and who can be an expert witness hard to comprehend? Then, this seminar will present an excellent opportunity to remedy that.
5. How often do you get an opportunity to understand abstract and complex court activity concepts through relatively simple analogies and explanation? This seminar will provide you that invaluable opportunity.
6. Some workshops and seminars end up being monotonous monologues from the presenter to the audience. Not this one. In this seminar, you will get an opportunity to exercise the skills and concepts through classwork and engage the instructor in discussions.