By: Donald Nims, PE, Bergmann Associates – email@example.com
Upon completion in 1825, a twin set of five locks (Flight of Five) for the Erie Canal in Lockport, NY were considered to be an engineering triumph. By 1910 the southern half of the Flight of Five was replaced by a set of two mechanically-operated locks. The remaining northern half has since fallen into disrepair. This presentation will describe repairs that would restore the Flight of Five to working order with new wooden gates and balance beams as the most prominent features.