Plenary: Advancing Health for Immigrant and Refugee Populations
May 02, 2019 9:20 AM - 10:30 AM
Catina O’Leary, PhD, LMSW, is President and CEO of Health Literacy Media (HLM), a nonprofit health communications company located in downtown Saint Louis, Missouri. Under her direction, HLM’s service network includes some of the largest employers in Missouri and across the nation, including pharmaceutical companies, hospital systems, business coalitions and community-based organizations. HLM provides:
• training for health care providers in clear verbal and written health communication,
• plain language writing,
• health education and marketing documents to increase accessibility to community members,
• public facing summaries of clinical trial data,
• electronic health literate and accessible content,
• deep engagement with communities on their selected health and health insurance topics.
Before her appointment as CEO of HLM, O’Leary was a faculty member at Washington University School of Medicine with appointments in Psychiatry and Occupational Therapy, where she oversaw community-engaged research projects in the US and internationally. O’Leary has published many articles in journals, book chapters, editorials and blogs. O’Leary serves as a member of the National Academy of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine Roundtable on Health Literacy.