This widely attended event allows Seekonk residents the opportunity to bring household hazardous waste to be safely disposed of, free of charge. Household Hazardous Waste Day is an annual public service provided by the Seekonk Board of Health. This will take place at Town Hall in the front of the building and will utilize the traffic circle.
All registrants will be assigned an approved time slot on a first-come, first-served basis. Registration is limited to the first 100 registrants. After the first 100 slots are filled, a waitlist will be created. In order to best serve all residents looking to utilize this service, please arrive on time for your assigned slot. The Seekonk Board of Health reserves the right to close an event, once the allowable threshold has been met. ID will be required as this is only open to Seekonk residents. No materials will be accepted from businesses.
Why have a collection for Household Hazardous Waste?
Many household items contain hazardous substances that pose health and environmental risks. These substances can leach into groundwater if poured down the drain, thrown in the trash or dumped directly onto the ground. At our collection day, hazardous products will be sorted, categorized, properly packed by a licensed hauler, and disposed of in an appropriate manner.
What to bring for collection at Household Hazardous Waste Day?
- Oil based paints, stains, and varnishes ( no latex paint products will be accepted), paint thinners, solvents, strippers, wood preservatives, solvent adhesive and wood tar.
- Motor Oil ( limit of 5 gallons per household)
- Waste fuel ; Kerosene, gasoline, engine degreaser, carburetor cleaner, brake fluid, car wax and polishes, driveway sealer, charcoal lighter fluid.
- Poisons, insecticides, fungicides, chemical fertilizers, weed killer, mothballs, pest strips, flea powder.
- Rubber Cement, airplane glue, fiberglass resin, photo chemicals, chemistry sets, furniture polish, floor & metal polishes, oven-toilet-drain cleaners, swimming pool chemicals.
- Ni-cad, button, rechargeable, and lithium batteries.
- Propane Gas Cylinders
- Automobile/Motorcycle Batteries
What not to bring?
- Latex Paint; can be disposed of safely in the trash by opening the container and allowing the paint to dry out prior to closing it tightly and disposing in the regular trash.
- Empty Containers; are not hazardous waste and need to be disposed of with regular trash disposal.
- Smoke Detectors; should be returned to the manufacturer for proper disposal.
- Commercial or Industrial Waste from businesses or contractors.
- Ammunition, explosives or fireworks; Please contact the Seekonk Fire Department for information regarding disposal.
- Tires; please contact the Seekonk DPW regarding disposal.
- Computer/Electronics; Please contact the Seekonk DPW regarding disposal.
- Sharps/Needles/Syringes/Lancets; Please contact the Seekonk Board of Health to schedule disposal of these items. Medical Sharps containers can be purchased by Town residents for $9.00 which includes the container and disposal. These items cannot be accepted during Household Hazardous Waste Day.
- Medication; Unused or unwanted prescription medications can be disposed of at the Seekonk Public Safety Complex located at 500 Taunton Ave. Seekonk MA at a collection bin in the lobby.
- Fluorescent bulbs and Mercury items ; can be accepted at the Seekonk DPW year round. Please call if you have questions prior to arriving for routine disposal.
- Used Motor Oil will be accepted in limited quantities; The Massachusetts Used Motor Oil Return Law requires that each establishment selling motor oil establish a storage unit, and accepts used motor oil for disposal from customers presenting proof of purchase with that establishment. A retailer is obligated to accept up to 2 gallons of used motor oil a day, per customer.